The blog post over at ITSM Tools, provides some key points as summarized by the author:
- There’s little point in telling a customer that you provided 98% availability if you don’t understand the impact of the 2% downtime
- Talk to your customers to make sure you understand the business impact of any downtime on them, and on their end customers
- Think about ways to protect your customers’ critical business processes
- Find ways to measure the frequency and duration of downtime, and the impact of downtime on productivity that are matched to your customers’ needs
- Agree, document, and report availability metrics in ways that both make sense to your customers and help you to plan
- Use appropriate tools and instrumentation to help you measure and report availability.