Business Impact Analysis
The resultant impact on the company is measured to determine the perceptive.of the IT customer Five areas are assessed. Each area has a maximum score of 4 and the classification is the score of all areas represented as a percentage.
- Scope - Percentage of customers affected.
- Credibility - Internal and external negative consequences in the company.
- Operations - Business interference.
- Urgency - Time planning.
- Prioritization - Resource reaction.
- (4) More than 50% of customers affected
- (3) More than 25% of customers affected
- (2) Less than 25% of customers affected*
- (1) Less than 1% of users affected
- (0) Single IT customer affected
- (4) Areas outside the company will be affected negatively
- (3) Company affected negatively
- (2) Multiple business units affected negatively
- (1) Single business units affected negatively
- (0) No credibility issue*
- (4) Interferes with core business functions
- (3) Interferes with business activities*
- (2) Significant interference with completion of work
- (1) Some interference with normal completion of work
- (0) No work interference
- (4) Underway and could not be stopped
- (3) Caused by unscheduled change or maintenance
- (2) Incident caused by a change
- (1) Incident caused by scheduled maintenance
- (0) Completion time not important*
Reviewing the scope , credibility, operations and urgency please classify the priority of the incident.
- (4) Critical - An immediate and sustained effort using all available resources until resolved. On-call procedures activated, vendor support invoked.
- (3) High - Technicians respond immediately, assess the situation, and may interrupt other staff working low or medium priority jobs for assistance.
- (2) Medium - Respond using standard procedures and operating within normal supervisory management structures.
- (1) Low - Respond using standard operating procedures as time allows. *
- (0) No prioritization
* - default score
- The scope is rated as 2 – less than 25% of customers affected.
- The credibility is rated as 4 – Areas outside the company will be affected negatively.
- The operations is rated as 2 - Interferes with normal completion of work.
- The urgency is rated as 3 - Caused by unscheduled change or maintenance.
- The prioritization is rated as 3 – High - Technicians respond immediately, assess the situation, and may interrupt other staff working low or medium priority jobs for assistance.
- The score is thus 14 out of a max of 20 = 70%.
After a large enough sample pool has been built the averages are calculated. Let's assume the average for classification is 70%. Dependant on the calculate score for a specific major incident the following statements can be made:
- The incident affected the company less than usual.
- The incident affected the company the same as usual.
- The incident affected the company greater than usual.